Contient des photographies de la gare de Hyannis Railroad - Histoire

Contient des photographies de la gare de Hyannis Railroad - Histoire



Hyannis


Fichier:Heure d'été 1988 de Cape Cod et Hyannis Railroad.pdf

Cette balise est conçue pour être utilisée lorsqu'il peut être nécessaire d'affirmer que les améliorations (par exemple, luminosité, contraste, correspondance des couleurs, netteté) sont en elles-mêmes insuffisamment créatives pour générer un nouveau droit d'auteur. Il peut être utilisé lorsqu'on ignore si des améliorations ont été apportées, ainsi que lorsque les améliorations sont claires mais insuffisantes. Pour les analyses brutes non améliorées connues, vous pouvez utiliser un <> tag à la place. Pour l'utilisation, voir Commons:Quand utiliser la balise PD-scan.


Contient des photographies de la gare de Hyannis Railroad - Histoire

Les gares ferroviaires du Massachusetts, maintenant dans sa vingt-troisième année, sont un site consacré à l'histoire, à l'emplacement et à l'utilisation des dépôts ferroviaires, qu'ils soient encore debout ou disparus depuis longtemps, dans les treize comtés du Massachusetts. Les lecteurs sont invités à consulter les tableaux et liens ci-dessous et à soumettre des ajouts, des corrections, des photos et des commentaires pour rendre ce site plus détaillé, plus précis et plus complet. Plus de 1200 stations différentes sont désormais représentées !

Toute personne intéressée à rechercher les stations répertoriées sur ce site Web ou les emplacements où se trouvaient autrefois les anciennes stations est fortement invitée à consulter l'excellent site Web Nashua City Station de Matt Cosgro pour des cartes claires de chaque site de station dans l'État du Massachusetts (et dans toute la Nouvelle-Angleterre).

Une annonce commerciale rare mais nécessaire sur ce site : John H. Roy Jr. livre complet et minutieusement documenté Un guide de terrain sur les dépôts de chemin de fer du sud de la Nouvelle-Angleterre et les maisons de fret a été publié par Branch Line Press de Pepperell MA. Cliquez ici pour plus d'informations et pour en commander un exemplaire. Ce livre rejoint les livres de Karr et Lindsell en tant qu'ouvrages indispensables sur les voies ferrées dans le sud et le nord de la Nouvelle-Angleterre.

Pouvez-vous aider? Pouvez-vous aider à résoudre l'un des divers mystères du dépôt sur la page de vérification du site ?

Mises à jour précédentes : 18/11/20 26/08/20 2/7/20 4/16/20 3/10/20 2/5/20 12/6/19 6/13/19 3/11/19 12/ 22/18 8/1/18 7/15/18 7/15/18 8/1/18 3/19/19 2/22/18 11/12/18 5/4/17 1/23/17 10/ 22/16 11/17/16 9/20/16 8/15/16 6/20/16 1/10/16 6/24/15 1/9/15 10/4/14 4/19/14 6/ 9/14 5/26/13 5/4/13 1/8/12 10/8/11 6/7/11 12/30/10 9/23/10 9/12/10 6/10/10 12/ 29/09 10/3/09 6/25/09 5/10/09 1/2/09 10/5/08 6/30.08 5/10/08 2/6/08 11/18/07 6/27/ 07/12/07 2/10/07 9/17/06 6/10/06 5/30/06 2/17/06 12/4/05 (voir archive de mise à jour)

Stations toujours debout dans le Massachusetts : cliquez sur un comté :

Total actuel : 305 debout stations répertoriées / 1289 différent stations illustrées

Autres listes de stations, photos et informations : Cliquez sur TOUT lien supplémentaire que vous souhaitez voir (certains liens n'ont pas encore été créés, veuillez vérifier):

Naviguer dans les gares :

  • Dans ce monde post-11 septembre, attention à ne pas se comporter de manière à éveiller les soupçons, notamment autour des installations ferroviaires (cours, ponts, ouvrages). Porter l'identification et si demandé, être franc sur qui vous êtes et quelles sont vos intentions.
  • Les stations répertoriées comme privées sont généralement la maison de quelqu'un. Certaines personnes ne se soucient pas que vous aimiez les trains et ne veulent pas que quelqu'un prenne des photos. Demandez d'abord !
  • Les stations répertoriées comme Entreprises ne sont que cela, et les photos peuvent être facilement obtenues.
  • Les stations répertoriées comme municipales sont des bureaux gérés par l'État, tels que la police, les pompiers, la bibliothèque, les autoroutes et les bureaux de village. Les heures sont généralement de 9h à 17h si vous voulez regarder autour de vous.
  • Les stations répertoriées comme Société appartiennent à une société et peuvent également contenir un musée.
  • Track is In Use signifie qu'il y a un chemin de fer actif utilisant les voies. Soyez prudent autour des pistes et demandez toujours la permission lorsque vous êtes sur la propriété du chemin de fer.
  • Type de gare = Combinaison, Fret et Passager.
  • "Déplacé" signifie que l'adresse indiquée est la courant, pas le original emplacement de la gare. Consultez la colonne "Notes".

Si je n'ai pas d'information, comme une date de construction ou une rue, vous verrez un . Veuillez m'envoyer un message par e-mail si vous êtes en mesure de fournir des informations sur cette page. Assurez-vous d'inclure la gare à laquelle vous faites référence (chemin de fer et ville).

Photos : Une caméra à côté d'une ville ou d'un nom de ville indique une photo de cette station située dans les archives une caméra rouge indique une image de carte historique de la station. Cliquez sur l'une des caméras pour voir l'image. Comme je reçois souvent des photos en double ou des vues différentes de la même station, je vais occasionnellement faire pivoter les photos de différentes personnes sur les pages du comté. Si vous m'envoyez un scan photo, je vous inscrirai une attribution si vous préférez le faire vous-même, merci d'inscrire en minuscules en haut ou en bas l'année de la photo, et votre nom complet. Je liste généralement plusieurs symboles d'appareil photo sur les pages des comtés, cela signifie généralement des photos actuelles ainsi que des images en noir et blanc d'antan (à des fins de comparaison), tandis que sur la page Autres stations, celles-ci signifient généralement plusieurs "historiques" en noir et -photos blanches. Je pense que toutes les photos incluses sur ce site qui ne sont pas attribuées aux personnes qui les ont soumises sont dans le domaine public et que leur utilisation ne viole aucune loi sur le droit d'auteur, veuillez m'écrire si vous savez que ce n'est pas le cas pour une image ici. Pour mémoire, je n'autorise aucune publicité et ne gagne pas d'argent sur le site en fait, cela me coûte de l'argent pour le maintenir.

Page conçue par Gary LaPointe (et Michael Sellers)

Format du tableau et texte "Naviguer dans les gares" conçu par Charles Woolever


Chemins de fer de Cape Cod et des îles

Chemins de fer de Cape Cod et des îles ici, vous pouvez choisir de faire signer votre livre par l'auteur.

Pour passer votre commande, il vous suffit de choisir votre mode de livraison (Tarif du livre, ou Courrier prioritaire pour une livraison accélérée), de sélectionner si vous souhaitez ou non faire signer votre ou vos livres par l'auteur, puis de cliquer sur "Acheter".

Le paiement en ligne s'effectue via Paypal. Si vous n'avez pas encore de compte, c'est rapide, gratuit et facile à configurer. Paypal utilise un cryptage 128 bits pour protéger vos informations et est une société de paiement en ligne bien connue et de confiance.

Paypal accepte les cartes Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express et les chèques en ligne.

Alternativement, si vous préférez payer "à l'ancienne", vous pouvez également envoyer un chèque ou un mandat postal. Cliquez ici pour obtenir un bon de commande imprimable par la poste.

Chapitre 1 - Buzzards Bay à Hyannis
Construction de la tour à Buzzards Bay, 1911. Des ouvriers posent pour une photo pendant la construction de la tour de verrouillage. La tour contrôle toujours les mouvements quotidiens des trains. (Avec l'aimable autorisation des archives de Bourne.)
Le quai du chemin de fer au port de Hyannis, 1900. Le Cape Cod Railroad a construit ce quai de 1 000 pieds dans le détroit de Nantucket en 1854. Le quai a servi à relier les ferries de passagers de Nantucket et de Martha's Vineyard au chemin de fer jusqu'en 1872, lorsque la branche de Woods Hole a ouvert ses portes et que les ferries y sont allés à la place. Cependant, ce quai a continué à desservir d'autres navires jusqu'en 1931. La ligne de chemin de fer de 1,2 mile entre le quai et le centre-ville de Hyannis a été officiellement abandonnée par le New Haven en 1937, et Old Colony Boulevard occupe maintenant la majeure partie de l'emprise. (Avec l'aimable autorisation de Howard Goodwin.)

Chapitre 2 - De Yarmouth à Orléans
Posant à Harwich, les années 1890. Les membres d'équipage du moteur du New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad No. 670, un type américain 4-4-0 (renuméroté de 1904 à 2019) posent à Harwich en attendant leur prochaine affectation. Cette locomotive était régulièrement affectée au service sur la branche Chatham. (Avec l'aimable autorisation de Howard Goodwin.)
La gare de Harwich, 1887. Avec l'achèvement de la branche de Chatham en 1887, Harwich abritait quatre gares, dont celle-ci à la jonction de cette branche. Le réservoir d'eau carré adjacent à la gare, avec un moulin à vent au sommet, est particulièrement intéressant sur cette photographie. Le moulin à vent actionnait une pompe à eau pour remplir le réservoir d'eau. (Avec l'aimable autorisation de Howard Goodwin.)

Chapitre 3 - Orléans à Provincetown
Le quai de chemin de fer de Provincetown. Quelques wagons de marchandises sont assis sur le quai de Provincetown dans cette vue de carte postale. Notez l'abondance de voiliers dans le port. Les trains de marchandises et de voyageurs utilisaient ce quai. (Collection de l'auteur.)

Chapitre 4 - La branche Woods Hole.
La gare Pocasset, 4 août 1929. Cette photographie capture la troisième et dernière station de Pocasset. Il a été construit en 1915 pour remplacer la structure précédente (qui a brûlé) et est resté jusqu'en 1960, date à laquelle il a été démoli. Un coin du hangar à marchandises est également visible à gauche. (Photographie de Louis H. Benton, avec l'aimable autorisation de Howard Goodwin.)
Trou dans les bois, 1902. L'importance du chemin de fer pour le village de Woods Hole est visible sur cette photographie. La plaque tournante à gauche était toujours utilisée, mais la rotonde qu'elle servait avait disparu. Le bateau à vapeur à roues latérales Nantucket est amarré au quai, et cette vue donne une bonne perspective de la commodité pour les passagers transférant entre le train et le bateau. Aujourd'hui, cette zone offre des parkings asphaltés pour les ferries de l'île. (Avec l'aimable autorisation de Howard Goodwin.)

Chapitre 5 - La succursale de Chatham
La gare de Chatham. La station Chatham est montrée longtemps après que les voies aient été supprimées. Chatham a été la dernière ville de Cape Cod à recevoir un service ferroviaire, avec sa branche de sept milles achevée en 1887. La ligne n'a fonctionné que pendant 50 ans et a été abandonnée en 1937. Cette gare abrite aujourd'hui un musée ferroviaire populaire exploité par la ville et a toujours l'air très pareil. (Avec l'aimable autorisation de Howard Goodwin.)

Chapitre 6 - Martha's Vineyard et Nantucket
Quai de Oak Bluffs, 1890. Le quai du chemin de fer à Oak Bluffs se trouvait sur l'île de Martha's Vineyard. Le chemin de fer Martha's Vineyard a été construit en 1874 entre ici et Katama. En 1876, une branche d'un demi-mile vers South Beach a été ajoutée à la ligne. La ligne totalisait neuf milles et était une ligne à voie étroite de trois pieds, comme le Nantucket Railroad. La locomotive illustrée ici est l' Active , construite par le H.K. Compagnie Porter de Pittsburgh. C'était la seule locomotive utilisée par la Martha's Vineyard Railroad et (avec trois voitures de passagers et une voiture supplémentaire) constituait la totalité de la liste d'équipement. (Avec l'aimable autorisation de Howard Goodwin.)
Locomotive n°2 du chemin de fer de Nantucket. C'était la dernière locomotive à vapeur à être acquise par le Nantucket Railroad, arrivant sur l'île en mai 1910. C'était une locomotive de type char 2-4-4T, construite à l'usine Alco de Richmond, en Virginie, et était la seule locomotive être acheté neuf par le chemin de fer. Dans le même temps, le chemin de fer a passé une commande à Jackson et Sharpe of Delaware (la même société qui a construit les voitures de la Martha's Vineyard Railroad) pour une voiture à bagages combinée et une voiture à passagers ordinaire. Ces voitures étaient peintes en rouge vif. (Avec l'aimable autorisation de Howard Goodwin.)

Chapitre 7 - Chemins de fer modernes de Cape Cod
La nouvelle ère du voyage en train ? En août 1979, ce Budd SPV-2000 automoteur simple a effectué une visite d'une semaine au Cap, offrant des promenades de démonstration gratuites entre Buzzards Bay et Falmouth et entre Buzzards Bay et Hyannis, avec un arrêt intermédiaire à Sandwich. Le gouverneur Edward King et le sénateur américain Paul Tsongas étaient sur place lors d'une réception à Barnstable pour inaugurer cette manifestation, et tous deux étaient de fervents partisans du retour du service ferroviaire de passagers dans le sud-est du Massachusetts, l'administration King faisant pression pour le chemin de fer de Cape Cod à Braintree. service en 1982. La version moderne du RDC d'origine (régulièrement utilisé sur le Cap aussi récemment qu'en 1964) est vue ici à Buzzards Bay le 12 août 1979. (Avec l'aimable autorisation de Howard Goodwin.)
Le Cape Cod Central à Wareham Le Cape Cod Central Railroad propose des excursions panoramiques et un service de dîner en train sur le Cap. Le premier trajet, composé d'un seul wagon entre deux locomotives, a eu lieu le week-end du Memorial Day en 1999, et les trajets gratuits entre West Barnstable et Hyannis se sont poursuivis pour ce week-end inaugural. La saison 2000 a entraîné de nombreux changements et de nouveaux équipements, dont ce GP-7, n ° 1501. Le Cape Cod Central a exploité une série de trains affrétés entre Hyannis et Wareham en octobre 2000, et le n ° 1501 est photographié à la gare de Wareham. sur l'un de ces voyages. Le pompier Richard "Tink" Tinkham pose avec la locomotive. (Photographie de l'auteur.)

© Copyright 1998-2010, Andrew T. Eldredge
Tous les droits sont réservés.
Cliquez ici pour contacter le webmaster.


Fichier:BSicon BHF2.svg

Cliquez sur une date/heure pour afficher le fichier tel qu'il apparaissait à ce moment-là.

Date/HeureLa vignetteDimensionsUtilisateurCommenter
courant19:02, 5 janvier 2018500 × 500 (300 octets) Jc86035 (discussion | contributions) taille de fichier réduite
11:05, 15 avril 2017500 × 500 (305 octets) Jc86035 (discussion | contributions) taille de fichier réduite
20:03, 18 juin 2013500 × 500 (352 octets) YLSS (discuter | contributions) Page créée par l'utilisateur avec UploadWizard

Vous ne pouvez pas écraser ce fichier.


Archives du blog 21 Septembre 2017 à janvier 2018

ATTENTION: Une partie du contenu de cette section, y compris les archives, traite de sujets de nature violente ou sexuelle à la fois en images et en texte, et s'adresse à un public adulte. Si vous pensez être offensé par un tel contenu, vous devez quitter cette page maintenant.

Pour que la page du blog reste d'une longueur raisonnable, les articles qui s'y trouvent seront archivés environ tous les six mois. Pour accéder au contenu plus ancien, cliquez sur les liens sur le côté gauche de cette page.


La banalité du mal
Par Stéphane Likosky

En parcourant une pile de vraies cartes postales photo lors d'un récent salon, je suis tombé sur une carte fanée et tachetée qui a attiré mon intérêt. C'était le type de carte, comme celles avec des coins manquants que la plupart des collectionneurs ont tendance à ignorer. La carte montre un groupe de huit jeunes hommes posant en uniforme, avec six des hommes debout derrière deux qui sont agenouillés. Au verso, éveillant ma curiosité, quelqu'un avait écrit en haut, &ldquoL'émeute raciale de Springfield,&rdquo et j'ai remarqué, également en écriture au crayon délavé, le mot &ldquonigers&rdquo au sein du message.

En examinant le texte à la loupe, j'ai pu distinguer :

&ldquoChère sœur
Je suis à Springfield pour combattre le Niger. Comment aimez-vous la pastèque qu'un ami, Alden Troop C nous a fourni.
Springfield & rdquo

La carte était adressée à : Mme H S Knight, 208 Pearl St., Benton Harbour Michigan. Le timbre-poste avait été retiré et il n'y avait aucune information perceptible sur le cachet d'oblitération.

En repensant à la photo, je pouvais maintenant discerner des tranches de pastèque tenues dans les mains des hommes. Ils semblent ravis de poser pour la caméra, et la silhouette debout à l'extrême gauche arbore un large sourire. L'arrière-plan est peut-être une gare ferroviaire, avec du fret à gauche et deux wagons visibles à droite. Leurs uniformes sont ceux de la garde nationale.

Plusieurs choses, outre le racisme flagrant, m'ont frappé : la N-mot (mal orthographié) était envoyé sur une carte postale ouverte, il n'y avait aucune honte à employer le N-mot dans la correspondance de l'écrivain avec sa sœur et les hommes en uniforme, les gardes nationaux, n'auraient aucune hésitation à être ouvertement identifiés comme des utilisateurs d'un terme aussi péjoratif.

Ce qui m'est venu à l'esprit, c'est la notion d'Hannah Arendt&rsquos de la banalité du mal, qui a été introduit dans son livre Eichmann à Jérusalem, publié en 1963. C'était en effet un excellent exemple de la normalisation de la dépravation - une image de célébration d'hommes sur une carte postale tenant des pastèques qui viennent d'être impliqués dans la répression d'une émeute raciale qui a fait plusieurs morts.

Quant au contexte, l'émeute raciale de Springfield a eu lieu à Springfield, dans l'Illinois, sur une période de deux jours en août 1908. Deux Afro-Américains avaient été arrêtés parce qu'ils étaient soupçonnés d'avoir commis des crimes contre des Blancs. Lorsque les responsables de la loi ont senti la possibilité de violence, ils ont transféré les hommes dans une autre prison à soixante miles de là. En réponse, des foules blanches sont entrées dans les quartiers noirs, détruisant des maisons et des entreprises et lynchant deux Noirs. Certains Noirs ont riposté, beaucoup ont fui. À la fin du deuxième jour, des milliers de miliciens avaient été envoyés pour réprimer les émeutes. Au total, quatre personnes sont décédées, dont deux de race blanche. L'homme noir arrêté avant l'émeute a finalement été exécuté pour meurtre, le second a été libéré après que son accusateur a admis qu'elle avait menti en affirmant qu'il l'avait violée. Les émeutes ont été un facteur dans la création de la National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) un an plus tard, en 1909.

On ne sait pas si les gardes nationaux montrés ont choisi de poser avec des pastèques comme une déclaration raciste. Cependant, l'association des Noirs aux pastèques dans les stéréotypes racistes était bien connue à l'époque et a une histoire intéressante. Après que les esclaves aient gagné leur liberté, beaucoup ont cultivé et vendu des pastèques, ce qui est devenu un symbole de leur liberté retrouvée. Les Blancs du Sud, cependant, se sentant menacés par les Noirs émancipés, ont refait l'image des Afro-Américains avec des pastèques comme emblématique de leur supposée paresse et enfantillage. Des images dégradantes de cette nature ont abondé pendant des décennies dans le monde des cartes postales, comme tout collectionneur peut en témoigner.

Malheureusement, Benton Harbor, Michigan, la ville à laquelle la carte a été envoyée, a également son histoire d'émeutes raciales. Les deux principaux ont eu lieu en 1966 et 2003. Dans le premier, des troupes de la Garde nationale ont été déployées, dans le second, des soldats de l'État et des forces de l'ordre des communautés voisines.

En conclusion, les cartes postales, dans ce cas, une vraie carte photo endommagée, peuvent offrir une documentation précieuse et un aperçu des valeurs et des mœurs de son époque. Que le racisme était si endémique et ancré dans notre société qu'il n'était pas particulièrement remarquable est aussi étonnante que sa persistance pernicieuse encore aujourd'hui.

Compter les moutons
L'idéalisme rencontre la politique à Central Park

Par Alan Petrulis

Les visiteurs de Central Park à New York découvrent rapidement un paysage bucolique, son Sheep Meadow, lors de tout agréable après-midi, sera rempli de ceux qui recherchent le soleil, un espace ouvert ou un court répit des aspects désagréables de la vie urbaine. Bien qu'un sanctuaire puisse être trouvé ici, qu'on ne s'y trompe pas, c'est un champ de bataille durement combattu par ceux qui ont des visions concurrentes de la grande expérience américaine.

Au début du XIXe siècle, la politique, la cupidité et la corruption avaient déjà pris une telle ampleur à New York que le Conseil commun était incapable d'élaborer un plan viable pour le développement ordonné de l'île de Manhattan. La législature de l'État a répondu aux appels à l'aide en nommant une commission spéciale. Leurs efforts ont abouti au plan des commissaires de 1811, qui a tracé la croissance future de la ville sous forme de grille jusqu'à ce qui allait devenir la 155e rue. L'espace vert était largement absent de ce plan car il y avait peu de place pour lui dans la conscience de quiconque. Le terrain entre les 23e et 33e rues a été mis de côté à la place pour un grand grand défilé qui accueillerait des exercices militaires. Bien que cette parcelle particulière ait finalement été victime d'intérêts immobiliers, elle illustre l'état d'esprit de l'époque. Le maintien des milices locales était considéré comme un devoir civique important pour une république. Lorsque les conceptions de la construction de Central Park ont ​​été sollicitées, chaque plan devait inclure un terrain de parade.

Les plans soumis pour Central Park ont ​​mis en évidence un fossé croissant en ce qui concerne l'utilisation de l'espace public. Les traditionalistes ont mis l'accent sur des choses pratiques comme les terrains de jeux et les lieux de divertissement qui pourraient montrer la richesse et l'entreprise. Leurs plans étaient tous centrés sur le terrain de parade et, dans certains cas, les stands de tir, qui étaient considérés comme le centre naturel de la vie civique et l'objectif principal de la création d'un parc. Ceux qui avaient des visions plus romantiques du paysage comme Frederick Law Olmsted et Calvert Vaux étaient perçus par ceux qui voulaient exploiter cet espace vide comme anti-progrès.

Bien que ce soit le plan Olmsted&rsquos Greensward pour un parc rustique qui ait finalement été accepté, il contenait toujours un terrain de parade comme l'exige la commission. Ce problème n'a cependant pas disparu tranquillement, et Olmsted a manœuvré pour diminuer sa présence autant que possible. Lorsque de nouveaux commissaires ont été nommés au conseil d'administration qui s'opposaient catégoriquement à la vision d'Olmsted, cela a mis tout son plan en péril. Le critique le plus virulent était le financier August Belmont qui a qualifié le contraste entre un parc rustique et l'environnement urbain environnant &ldquogrotesque.&rdquo Alors que les deux parties avaient leurs partisans, la presse a attaqué Belmont en grande partie parce qu'il était un juif qui travaillait pour les Rothschild. Bien qu'il ne soit pas pertinent pour la question à l'étude, l'antisémitisme a contribué à influencer l'opinion publique vers le plan Olmsted&rsquos Greensward et la majorité de la commission y a apporté son soutien. Les appels à la construction d'un terrain de forage continueraient à persister, les derniers plans élaborés pour l'extrémité sud de Park en 1904.

Le compromis trouvé était qu'une étendue herbeuse de quinze acres serait créée entre la 66e et la 71e rue qui pourrait parfois être utilisée pour des démonstrations militaires. Sa construction était cependant presque aussi difficile que de se disputer avec la commission. Aucun des terrains réservés à Central Park n'était plat. Des formations rocheuses ont dû être détruites dans l'oubli et un marécage a dû être comblé. Même lorsque ce travail a été effectué, une vaste décharge devait encore être transportée du New Jersey pour augmenter l'élévation globale du drainage et fournir une surface plane pour les hommes en marche. Quand le Vert, parfois appelé Les communes a été achevé en 1859, des pétitions ont rapidement suivi pour utiliser l'espace pour les défilés militaires comme promis, mais toutes les demandes ont été rejetées. Cette tension sur l'utilisation du parc a continué jusqu'en 1864, lorsque la garde de l'État de New York a fait son entrée et a commencé à utiliser le Green sans autorisation. Les efforts pour contrôler cette activité n'ont gagné en popularité qu'à la fin de la guerre civile un an plus tard. Ce n'est qu'alors que le législateur de l'État a pu trouver la volonté politique d'adopter une loi interdisant définitivement les défilés militaires dans le parc.

L'objection à un terrain de parade découlait d'une vision plus large qui limitait la plupart des activités de groupe. Ils étaient considérés comme un miroir du type de vie urbaine trépidante qui contredisait la contemplation tranquille de la nature. L'idée qu'une Arcadie métropolitaine était un antidote aux maux de la vie urbaine renvoie à l'ancien concept de Solvitur Ambulando, qui n'avait grandi qu'à cette époque sous l'influence des romantiques et de mouvements plus locaux comme le transcendantalisme. La grande mer d'herbe dans le Vert était à apprécier de loin comme paysage bucolique. C'était une chance pour ceux qui ne pouvaient pas s'échapper de la ville de s'échapper au moins de ses rues confinées. Le Parc n'était pas seulement un lieu mais un mécanisme de création d'un nouvel ordre social. On pensait qu'en affinant le goût du public, le comportement public serait également réformé. Tous n'ont pas adhéré à cette idée d'améliorer le comportement du public, d'autant plus qu'il semblait être défini par classe. Cela a soulevé toute l'idée de ce que signifie exactement public dans un parc public. Lorsque Défense de marcher sur la pelouse des panneaux ont été mis en place en 1860, il était clair que public ne voulait pas dire commun. La liberté personnelle serait restreinte par des règles imposées pour régir les comportements indésirables.

Si le parc devait avoir une pelouse, il fallait l'entretenir. Deux cents moutons de Southdown ont ensuite été amenés pour aider comme faucheurs et fournir de l'engrais naturel. Les Dorsets seraient importés d'Angleterre dans les années 1880. On pensait aussi que leur présence renforcerait l'illusion d'être loin de la Ville. Alors qu'une idylle pastorale connue sous le nom de Sheep Meadow a été créée, les hangars temporaires délabrés construits pour abriter les moutons étaient si pauvres que beaucoup sont morts. Cela a incité Olmsted à concevoir une bergerie plus adéquate à placer près de la 86e rue, mais cela a été jugé trop loin du Green. Les moutons devaient aller et venir du vert deux fois par jour pour le pâturage, séparés par un retour à midi pour aller chercher de l'eau.

Une bergerie alternative a ensuite été conçue par Jacob Wrey Mold en 1871 pour être placée à la 66e rue. Ce n'était pas seulement beaucoup plus près, c'était aussi beaucoup plus grand, ce qui consternait Olmsted. Sa taille avait cependant moins à voir avec la fonction que de satisfaire les politiciens de Tammany Hall. Non seulement les moutons et leurs bergers y étaient logés, mais ils étaient tondus pour leur laine et leurs agneaux abattus pour selle d&rsquoagneau de Central Park sur des menus exclusifs sur la ville. Ces revenus servaient à payer l'entretien des moutons, mais ils aidaient aussi sans aucun doute à remplir les poches du maire Tweed et de ses associés avec la corruption.

Au tournant du 20e siècle, les moutons étaient devenus un spectacle tellement attendu dans le parc que Sheep Meadow est devenu le nom le plus couramment utilisé pour leur pâturage. Pour tout éditeur de cartes postales produisant des scènes du Parc, le mouton est devenu une attraction incontournable qu'il fallait capter. Albertype, Illustrated Post Card, Rotograph, Schuze Litho & Post Card et Valentine & Sons ont tous placé des moutons sur leurs cartes. Alors qu'ils semblent généralement errer librement, le parc employait des bergers à plein temps, et parfois des chiens, qui les empêchaient de s'égarer.

Lorsque Olmsted et Vaux ont conçu pour la première fois Prospect Park à Brooklyn, il a fallu un grand pâturage clôturé qui abriterait des antilopes, des cerfs et des gazelles. Bien que ces créatures n'aient pas réussi à atteindre le parc, le Long Meadow était toujours créé et peuplé de moutons sur le modèle de Central Park. Le troupeau initial de trente personnes est finalement passé à plus d'une centaine. Ils n'avaient pas leur propre bergerie dédiée, mais étaient logés à la laiterie qui fournissait du lait frais aux enfants en visite. Les éditeurs ont capturé des scènes à Prospect Park presque aussi souvent qu'à Central Park, et ces moutons peuvent être trouvés sur des cartes postales d'American News, Fred Seyffarth, I. Stern, Success Postal Card et Theochrome. De nouvelles créations telles que Forest Park dans le Queens ont également acquis des moutons pour leurs pelouses qui ont été capturés sur des cartes postales. Les moutons de Prospect Park ont ​​finalement été retirés vers 1942 et envoyés dans une ferme du nord de l'État dans les Catskills lorsque le dernier berger a pris sa retraite. La main-d'œuvre en temps de guerre et les pénuries alimentaires ont probablement influencé cette décision.

En 1930, après la vidange de l'ancien réservoir récepteur de Central Park, des plans furent élaborés pour convertir cette fosse sèche en Great Lawn. Aucune mesure n'a été immédiatement prise car la Grande Dépression avait vidé les coffres de la ville. Les temps difficiles ont également mis environ deux mille sans-abri dans les rues de New York, et certains ont élu domicile dans des tunnels abandonnés et des hangars de travail se tenant dans le réservoir maintenant à sec. Redevenu une terre commune, beaucoup d'autres commencèrent à s'y installer et la fosse devint connue sous le nom de Vallée Hoover. Les associations civiques voisines se sont amèrement plaintes au maire LaGuardia de leur effet sur la baisse de la valeur des propriétés. Des rumeurs ont été lancées selon lesquelles les sans-abri étaient une menace pour les moutons du parc, mais aucune mesure permanente n'a été prise contre eux. L'émeute sanglante qui s'est ensuivie lorsque les communistes se sont rassemblés à Union Square l'année précédente a rendu le maire réticent à remuer davantage la marmite. Alors que des personnes affamées ont peut-être braconné quelques moutons, ces squatters n'étaient pas la cause de leur disparition comme le prétendent de nombreux témoignages. Il y avait d'autres motivations en jeu qui n'atteignaient pas l'oreille du public.

L'une des premières structures construites à Central Park, datant de 1865, était le Lady&rsquos Refreshment Salon sur le côté est du centre commercial près de la 70e rue. Après avoir été loué par des protégés de Boss Tweed, le faible loyer payé est devenu un symbole de la corruption de Tammany Hall. Bien qu'autrefois appelé le Casino, beaucoup l'appelaient le Club des hauts-de-forme car la plupart des visiteurs du parc n'y étaient pas les bienvenus. Une fois Jimmy Walker devenu maire en 1926, il a transformé le Casino en une boîte de nuit encore plus élitiste pour les New Yorkais super riches. Le gouverneur Al Smith était un mentor pour Walker, notoirement corrompu, ainsi que pour Robert Moses. Lorsque les audiences de Seabury ont commencé à enquêter sur le gouvernement municipal de New York, cela a non seulement forcé Walker à démissionner, mais le scandale est venu contrecarrer la propre offre de Smith de le remplacer en tant que maire. Moïse qui devait sa propre ascension directement à Smith n'a jamais pardonné à Walker pour cela. Lorsque Moses est devenu commissaire du parc en 1934, son premier ordre du jour était le remboursement. Après que le bail du Walker&rsquos Casino a été révoqué pour être une anomalie élitiste déplacée avec les valeurs de Park&rsquos, la structure a été démolie l'année suivante.

Bien que Robert Moses se soit battu contre la politique corrompue de Tammany Hall qui l'a engendré, il ne partageait aucun des idéaux rustiques d'Olmsted. Pour Moïse, le parc n'était pas un refuge naturel mais juste une autre piste de terre qui avait besoin de plus de développement. La destruction du Casino a incité à créer un nouveau restaurant à prix modéré, et la bergerie surdimensionnée a été choisie pour son remplacement. Une fois rénové et transformé en Taverne-sur-le-Vert, il a laissé les moutons sans abri. Ils ont ensuite tous été transportés à Brooklyn où ils ont été ajoutés au troupeau de Prospect Park.

Le Central Park Sheep Meadow n'a jamais été complètement fermé au public. Dès sa création, il était ouvert le samedi mais uniquement pour des activités tranquilles. Vers 1910, les moutons ont commencé à partager l'espace avec l'infusion d'événements spéciaux tels que des concours d'enfants et des rassemblements patriotiques. La danse Maypole tenue chaque 1er mai était un événement très populaire qui était souvent capturé sur des cartes postales. Malgré ces activités, la prairie aux moutons est restée en grande partie un endroit isolé, surtout une fois les moutons enlevés.

Les interdictions strictes d'utilisation ont finalement été levées en 1967 lorsque le nouveau commissaire du parc, August Heckscher a autorisé une fête de Pâques aimer d'y avoir lieu. De nombreux puristes considéraient ce mouvement comme une hérésie, mais les gens prenaient déjà les choses en main. L'année précédente, des manifestants anti-guerre du Vietnam ont investi le centre commercial comme zone de rassemblement avant de commencer leur marche. Heckscher vient de reconnaître que le public ne voulait pas de cours d'éducation civique, il voulait que Central Park réponde à ses besoins, et il était prêt à rendre service. Soutenant toujours les activités qui rassemblaient les gens, le Sheep Meadow viendrait accueillir de nombreuses autres manifestations, discours et concerts. Le parc était en train d'être redéfini comme un espace commun qui aiderait à soutenir un renouveau urbain en cours. Des problèmes avec cette nouvelle philosophie n'ont surgi que lorsque la Ville a manqué d'argent pour l'entretien pendant la crise financière de la fin des années 1970, et que l'utilisation continue a usé la pelouse jusqu'à la terre nue.

Après avoir été restauré en 1981, le Sheep Meadow est redevenu vert, mais son utilisation et ses horaires sont à nouveau restreints. Après un siècle et demi de débats, un compromis a pris forme qui tente d'équilibrer l'usage public et commun, les loisirs et le rustique. Même si ces changements ne sont pas un retour à la vision d'Olmsted&rsquos d'un parc capable de réformer la société, ils offrent tout de même une évasion bienvenue du rythme effréné de la ville. Si les moutons sont encore absents et ne devraient pas revenir, on peut être sûr que le débat sur l'utilisation de cette prairie est loin d'être clos.

Parti mais pas oublié:
Chemin de fer à Cape Cod

Par Alan Petrulis

Pour quiconque est coincé dans la circulation sur la route 6, il semble impossible de séparer Cape Cod de l'automobile. La nature même de ce lieu semble incarnée dans la culture automobile. Bien que cela soit sans aucun doute vrai, cela n'est arrivé à ce point qu'en évoluant à partir d'une époque où les chemins de fer régnaient. C'est l'introduction du chemin de fer, et non des autoroutes, qui a fait du Cap une destination touristique majeure. For most, this time seems so distant that the many significant ways the railroads altered the landscape are now looked upon with puzzlement. In a century or less, many of these once busy railways have turned into a collection of half remembered artifacts. Without knowledge of the railroad&rsquos place in history, these features remain as mysterious as relics from some ancient civilization. Deciphering this past may be helped along by examining old postcards that captured many aspects of railroading on the Cape.

Postcards depicting railroads has long been a popular theme for postcards. Small stores would often publish pictures of their local station, not just as a matter of pride, but because it was a favorite subject for commuters and tourists passing through. Railroad companies also published views of their stations and rolling stock for self-promotion. Perhaps more importantly, these were considered manly subjects. It was women who were first attracted to postcard collecting, at least in numbers, probably due to the tradition of their keeping up scrapbooks. Postcards became just another form of paper to collect. In the eyes of most men, postcard collecting like most women&rsquos activities was first considered a trivial habit. When publishers realized they were missing out on a large pool of potential customers, they began searching for subject matter that would also appeal to men. Railroads and trains proved to be one of the subjects that hooked men, and thus raised the status of postcard collecting.

Railroading in all its forms remained a popular hobby for most of the 20th century, and this in turn increased the popularity of railroad postcards that is still often reflected in their higher prices. While many of these cards are not difficult to find because of the large numbers produced, others are now rare. As with all types of postcards, some of the most desirable today feature train stations that no longer exist. Though many structures disappeared through modernization, other station stops were simply eliminated as demand dropped. Some of these old stations have since been repurposed while others were demolished. In some cases the lone postcard is the only remaining record of their existence. Looking for postcard evidence becomes particularly interesting when trying to piece together entire railroad lines that have gone out of business. This can be a daunting task but one within reason if narrowed down to just one of the many small lines that once existed. The railroads of Cape Cod fall nicely into this category.

Even though the population of Massachusetts was quite large by the mid-19th century, it wasn&rsquot evenly distributed. Most residents were concentrated in and around Boston, and then in the many coastal towns or mill towns on rivers. Cape Cod was then a backwater for fishermen and poor farmers. Provincetown at the tip of the Cape had a sizable fishing community due to its deep safe harbor, but the stage route was long and arduous so it largely connected itself to the rest of the state by steamer and packet to Boston. Railroads would eventually create a great transportation network, but travel by steamship remained an essential part of travel in New England well into the 20th century. There was little inducement for anyone to build a railroad into the wilds of Cape Cod as few had any reason to go there.

A place people did want to go to was Nantucket or rather the people of this remote island wanted to connect to the mainland. Even though Nantucket was declining as a major whaling port, there were still many who needed to journey between there and Boston. The most common route was by steamship, which carried passengers to New Bedford where they could pick up a northbound train. When the Cape Cod Branch Railroad was established in 1848, their line only extended out from Middleboro as far as Sandwich, which was well short of their ambitions. After paying off their debts they reorganized in February 1854 into the Cape Cod Railroad with intentions of extending their line all the way out to Hyannis to satisfy Nantucket interests. Travel between Nantucket and Hyannis by steamer would be far shorter and cheaper than to New Bedford. By July the new station house and a thousand foot long railroad dock equipped to meet steamers were completed. It opened with great fanfare.

Although a direct route running diagonally across the Cape between Sandwich and Hyannis had been surveyed, the route built took the line along the north shore to Barnstable and Yarmouth Port before sharply turning due south. While this added on miles, It played to the possibility of increasing passenger service. Even though Nantucket was steadily declining as a commercial port, it was beginning to attract summer visitors, and so was the Upper Cape. There were those who saw the potential of tapping into this new market but there was a problem the charter of the Cape Cod Railroad only allowed it to extend as far as Hyannis. To get around this legal obstacle the stockholders incorporated a new railroad, the Cape Cod Central in March 1861. This was only a paper company as the actual trains were run by the Cape Cod Railroad. The coming of the Civil War the following month delayed the laying of new track, but by 1864 construction was underway.

Reaching the town of Orleans had been the railroad&rsquos origin goal, but ambitions grew in the interim. The problem was that bonds for the existing project had already been difficult to raise during wartime, and now as the line was extended east from Yarmouth to Harwich they were running out of funds. The Cape Cod Central then began petitioning the government to fund an extension up to Provincetown as a patriotic necessity. Without it they argued, the forts protecting its Harbor might not be supplied fast enough to repel an enemy attack. While Confederate raiders did pose a real threat to the entire New England coast, Congress did not take this issue so serious to warrant the expenditure of additional funds. The defenses already erected there were dubbed Fort Useless et Fort Ridiculous, which illustrated existing concerns over money badly spent. The Cape Cod Central would reach Brewster then Orleans by the end of 1865, but by then the war was over and no additional funding would be forthcoming.

Although the fishing industry on the Cape fell into decline in the post Civil War years, the growing middle-class ushered in a new era of travel as they began taking vacations in large numbers. Inns and summer homes began springing up, most notably in places serviced by rail. The Cape Cod Railroad saw a notable increase in passengers who were not only making more trips they were also using the railroad as a commuter service between home and work. This increase in ridership provided them with enough revenue to finally buy out the Cape Cod Central in April 1868, which they were already secretly running. Soon after, they began surveying a new route up through Eastham to Wellfleet. This portion of the Cape however posed new problems the neck was much more narrow preventing good detours around the salt marshes that riddled its shores. The only way that the line could continue on a relatively straight course was by importing a great deal of fill to lay the track over. Even with these obstacles, the railroad began scheduled service to Wellfleet by the end of 1870.

The residents of Falmouth had a long interest in bringing railroad service to their town, but their first serious efforts failed as they unfortunately made on the eve of the Civil War. When funding became available in the postwar years, work on the Vineyard Sound Railroad began being constructed between Cohasset and Woods Hole. After the completion of a number of large bridges, this railroad was up and running by the summer of 1872. Steamer service from Nantucket was then moved from Hyannis to Woods Hole. This was a huge economic blow to Hyannis and use of its railroad wharf steadily declined.

The year 1872 was a pivotal one in Cape Cod&rsquos railroad history, when both shareholders and the Massachusetts State legislature approved the merger of The Old Colony & Newport with the Cape Cod Railroad. By September they were both consolidated into The Old Colony Railroad. Their next major project was extending the line another fourteen miles from Wellfleet to Provincetown. This too was slow going because of the tremendous amount of fill that needed to be hauled in. Then on July 23, 1873, a train full of dignitaries left Kneeland Street Station in Boston and became the first to make the entire five-hour trip to Provincetown by train. The line was officially dedicated the following year when President Grant paid a visit. The line was extended past the town station to the harbor where a new railroad wharf could directly connect with steamers and fishing boats.

The fishermen in the town of Chatham on the southeast corner of the Cape were particularly interested in seeing the railroad extended their way. Towns with rail service were now out competing them as they could get their product to market much faster and fresher. Desire however does not always transfer into action, and funding issues, innovative construction proposals, debates over route, and seemingly endless studies delayed construction for many years. The branch of the Old Colony Railroad was only extended from Harwich to Chatham in 1887. It was the last railroad line to be built on Cape Cod.

Steamship service was a major part of New England&rsquos transportation network, and it was usually set up to work in conjunction with the expanding railroad network. The most important route to cover was between Boston and New York, which did not go unnoticed by Richard Borden of Fall River. He established the Bay State Steamboat Company in 1847 to provide service from New York to Fall River where a connection could be made with his Fall River Railroad for continued service to Boston. This quickly grew into the Fall River Line that became the preferred route for most travelers due to savings in cost and time. To accommodate demand, the line acquired largest side-wheel steamboats ever made. The Fall River Railroad did not go directly to Boston, but made a connection with the Old Colony in South Braintree. Eventually Old Colony began leasing this line, and finally bought it out in 1896. While this seemed a valuable asset at the time, various factors eventually ate away at business. The opening of a new steamship service out of New Haven, Connecticut was the foremost of these as it created stiff competition. After the Cape Cod Canal opened in 1916, many steamers bypassed established rail connections altogether. By 1937, competition from automobiles and a long strike finally put the Fall River Line under for good.

While the construction of the Cape Cod Canal entailed a great deal of dredging and widening of existing rivers, the isthmus between them had to be excavated. At first all the digging was done by hand, then in 1911 giant steam shovels were brought in to continue the job. A temporary narrow gage railway was then built alongside the construction sight so that massive amounts of sand and boulders could be haul away. These tracks were constantly being torn up and laid anew as the work progressed. Few portions of the track lasted for more than a month. By the end of 1914 when the excavation was completed, the entire track was ripped up and hauled away on the New Haven line. Even though this railroad only had a lifespan of two and a half years, it was captured on many postcards.

News stories such as the digging of the Cape Cod Canal made it to print, but there were few outlets for images at the time other than postcards. While such coverage by publishers added to the postcard&rsquos popularity, it was not always a convenient medium for the job. In this case, publishers had the time to print cards because the project they depicted lasted many years. This also insured profit because the public&rsquos interest would be peaked for some time. Postcards depicting other events like train wrecks were also in high demand but interest in them faded rapidly. When they exist at all, they are most often the handiwork of a local photographer who could quickly capture the accident, and then produce just enough real photo postcards to satisfy demand.

Although the Old Colony Railroad greatly expanded in the 1880&rsquos and 1890&rsquos by buying other railroads, they ran into serious trouble during the depression of 1893 that plagued the railroad industry across the United States. The only way they found to survive was by giving the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad a 99-year lease of their entire system. Although this line under J.P. Morgan now had a near monopoly on all service in southern New England, it was also in decline. High debt and poor ridership during the Great Depression caused them to abandon their lease, which in turn forced Old Colony to declare bankruptcy in 1935. The courts however forced the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad to continue running the line except where they suffered egregious losses.

Things began changing right away. In two years the tracks between the railroad wharf and Hyannis station were torn up, and the spur line to Chatham was shut down. Passenger service to Provincetown was ended in 1938 amidst generally deteriorating conditions. By 1959, the automobile was dominating tourist travel, and all passenger service on the Cape&rsquos rails ended. While some freight service remained on this bankrupt railroad, the line above North Eastham was completely abandoned the following year. Many thought the only way to protect the remaining railways on Cape Cod was to include the New York, New Haven & Hartford into the great merger being planned with the Pennsylvania and New York Central railroads. After years of negotiations, this took place in 1969, but it wasn&rsquot long before the giant Penn Central filled for bankruptcy.

By 1973 the Regional Rail Reorganization Act created a commission that began looking into ways to solve the financial woes of railroads throughout the United States. At the same time, Massachusetts bought all the failing rail lines on Cape Cod, which were merged into the Consolidated Rail Corporation (Conrail) in 1976. Massachusetts would continue to own the rails but Conrail would run freight service over them. Eager to get out of Cape Cod, Conrail turned their freight service there over to The Bay Colony in 1982. All freight services, now largely consisting of hauling trash, was turned over to the Massachusetts Coastal Railroad in 2008.

Starting in 1981, new efforts began being made to bring some passenger service back to the Cape. The first attempt was made by the Cape Cod & Hyannis Railroad, which was already running excursion trains for tourists over the remaining network. While this ambitious revival ended in 1989 when the state stopped providing subsidies, limited summer passenger service between New York City and Hyannis on Amtrak&rsquos Cape Codder began in 1986. This service was also plagued with problems and ended ten years later. The Cape Cod Central was founded in 1999 to be another heritage railroad running excursion trains, but this time the route was limited to the old line running between Hyannis and the Cape Cod Canal. While the rolling stock is gleaned from many different lines across the county, the scenery is all Cape Cod. Operation of this line passed to Cape Rail in 2006, which became a subsidiary of Iowa Pacific Holdings in 2012. They revived some seasonal passenger service between Boston and Hyannis the following year by way of the CapeFLYER.

Even though the automobile now dominates access to Cape Cod, interest in alternative transportation has been growing in recent years. While train service on the Cape might be expanded, it has its limits. Many sections of the abandoned Old Colony Railroad were ripped up and repurposed for use as bike trails when there seemed no future for rail travel. Any efforts to reestablish these former routes would no doubt be met with resistance from competing interests. Many miles of informal rights of way also remain open to foot traffic. Passage however is never guarantied as some parts are completely overgrown, while missing bridges and fill can leave you dead in your tracks.

Publishers seemed reluctant to depict train tracks on their view-cards of Cape Cod so not to dispel the rural mystique. The growing tourist industry was not just dependent on good transportation and accommodations, it needed to attract people by promoting an idealized vacationland. The exception to this was postcards depicting depots, which was already a popular subject for collectors and those riding the rails. Many train stations held newsstands that sold postcards alongside their newspapers, but their inclusion was often determined by traffic. Stations that made connections with steamships had a high volume of passengers passing through, so they were the most likely to have postcards for sale and be captured on postcards. Other stations were little more than seasonal flag stops used only by a handful of people at a time, so there was no profit to be made by opening a newsstand in these places. While there is no doubt that some images are rare, there is a good likelihood that every station on the Cape was captured on at least one postcard. Even if this isn&rsquot true, there is always the possibility of the most obscure place winding up on a real photo postcard because these cards only took one interested person with a camera to make.

Many different publishers placed images of Cape Cod&rsquos railroads on postcards, which is testimony to their popularity. Large firms like Rotograph, Valentine & Sons, and A.M. Simon in New York, and even E.C. Kropp in Milwaukee manufactured these cards. Many derived from Boston where Tichnor Brothers, Robbins Brothers, and Thompson & Thompson published postcards of the Cape&rsquos depots. Even larger firms like American News and New England News published cards that were distributed from their newsstands. H.A. Dickerman of Taunton not only published many postcards of the Cape, many small local stores published their own cards through them. Depot cards were produced by most local establishments that sold other images of the Cape like Walter D. Baker and C.W. Megathlin of Hyannis, J.E Josselyn of Falmouth, W.B. Lambert of Pocasset, E.I Nye of Wellfleet, P.H. Phinney of Monument Beach, E.D. West of South Yarmouth, and of course the Provincetown Advocate. In the 1960&rsquos a number of historical societies began reproducing old photographs of depots as postcards. Though more modern, these might be the only cards that capture some stations. Examples of most follow, listed in order on individual lines as they were built.

This article consist of three parts click on the links below to continue reading.

The Twelve Points of Scouting
By Alan Petrulis

Views of childhood as a modern phenomenon, have been disproven by a variety of surviving artworks dating from ancient times. Rather than depictions of children as miniature adults, we find them playing with their mothers, toys and pets. Adolescence however is another matter. For most of civilized history, nearly everyone was involved in some sort of farming. Children were usually moved to the fields as soon as they could handle the work. This tradition was then incorporated into factory work during the industrial age. Radical changes to this model came with the turn of the 20th century. With a population shift to cities, and a growing middle-class, a new emphasis began to be placed on education over child labor. This was not universally seen as progress for large numbers of young people with more time on their hands introduced new social ills such as those termed hooliganism.

Many youth movements were born out of a desire to harness or at least direct this newfound freedom. Some like wandervogel in Germany were truly spontaneous and had no true leadership, while others developed into highly regimented organizations with constructive aims. The basic premise behind all these movements is that they embrace and even promote a set of defined values. While it is easy to see how the ideas supporting counterculture movements can easily stir up controversy and opposition, even those that promote core values highly prized by a society have never been without detractors.

People usually view the values they hold as absolutes that they do not want challenged, but this creates a situation where other points of view cannot always be tolerated. This is a problem inherent in all democratic societies that only grows more difficult to reconcile with a diverse population. These same issues tend to be extended to any organization or movement that is value based. Even when designed to promote good, it is often found that we cannot all agree on what is good. Very often these organizations only come to represent majority viewpoints. While most former Scouts continue to say that their experience in Scouting has made them better able to handle life, this doesn&rsquot address those oppressed by majority rule. Bigotry, sexism and discrimination have historically been supported by adherence to core values. We can now see this in recent controversies surrounding the presence of homosexuality and transgender children in Scouting. Policies that one side welcomes are abhorrent to the other.

The ability to highjack a doctrine that is successful at controlling behavior has never gone unnoticed by those willing to use it to further their own agendas. While this has often been done for personal gain, it can become extremely potent and even dangerous in the hands of the state. Totalitarian regimes that are only interested in one point of view have been exceptionally good at indoctrinating core value through youth organizations. While an emphasize on duty was widely promoted in all nations a hundred years ago, its role in organizations like Hitler Youth or the Young Communist International has left a bad taste in many people&rsquos mouths. This has led groups like the Boy Scouts to relinquish most of their soldiery trappings, but they are still looked upon by some as too militaristic.

Despite the problems found in value based movements, the appeal of Scouting has remained strong, which can be clearly seen in the sales of Scouting for Boys written by Robert Baden-Powell. Since its first publication in 1908, it has become the fourth bestselling book of the 20th century. Baden-Powell&rsquos inspiration for this handbook was born out of his personal experiences while serving in the British Army. He had already published a book on military scouting, Reconnaissance and Scouting back in 1884 while stationed in British-India. His own skills were further enhanced after meeting up with Frederick Russell Burnham during the Matabele War in Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). Burnham was an American adventurer working for the British South Africa Company. Having served as a tracker in the Apache Wars, he teamed up with Baden-Powell on reconnaissance missions behind enemy lines. It was during this time together that he passed along the woodworking skills that he learned while growing up on a Dakota Sioux reservation, and from his familiarity with the last frontiersmen of the American West.

A few years later, Baden-Powell took part in the Second Boer War where he was besieged in the town of Mafeking, the capital of the Northwest Province of South Africa. The siege lasted more than seven months, and during this time Baden-Powell worked closely with the local Cadet Corps that was supporting British troops. After observing the practical value that well trained young men had on the war effort, he began collecting his own ideas on how to build self-reliance through skills in tracking and craft. This became the basis of Scoutcraft, which he promoted in his 1899 book, Aids to Scouting. His newfound status as a military hero helped to bring these ideas to light at a time when the public was hungry to receive them. This inspired the formation of many organizations such as the Boy&rsquo:s Brigade, but after the publication of his Scouting handbook in 1908, a full fledged organization of Boy Scouts was born.

While the British model for the Boy Scouts drew heavily from their experiences in India, other local traditions were incorporated as the movement spread around the world. Even though diverse Scouting organizations were established in Argentina, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Malaya, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, South Africa, Sweden, and the United States by 1910, all were still united by their adherence to the points expressed in Scout Law. While it seems difficult to argue against the values expressed on the cards below as anything but those good citizens should embrace, their lack of precise meaning has inspired inconsistent interpretations over time. Lorsque Loyalty is equated to unyielding duty to one&rsquos country, should we ask to what purpose? Discipline can also be read as mindless obedience to authority a virtue to authoritarians, but not to those who believe authority must always be questioned if freedom is to be preserved. Most interpretations of the term Clean cannot be separated from Christian concepts concerning sin. It is interesting to note that the often cited virtue of being reverent to God is replaced here with that of tenacity. This is no doubt a reflection of the long standing hostility between church and state in Republican France where the cards were made.

Since many Scouting activities take place at outdoor camps, it places many Scouts far away from their families. The problem of homesickness that arose was the same as that experienced by young military recruits, which inspired the creation of postcards as an inexpensive method of correspondence. It should then not be surprising that during the golden age of postcards, many publishers introduced a wide variety of Scouting themed cards. These cards also played a prominent role in promoting Scouting and introducing the public to its values. A good insight into these points can be found in a beautiful set of twelve French postcards published by Roberic of Paris. Though undated and unsigned, they may have been produced during the First World War when any sort of card that supported national unity through shared beliefs was officially encouraged.


1 A Scout is trustworthy.



3 A Scout is helpful.


4 A scout is a friend to the world and the brother of all other scouts.


ALL CAPE COD TRAIN RIDES

Adventure comes to life when the train departs for a round-trip journey to the North Pole led by our merry-making cast!

CANAL EXCURSION TRAIN DEPARTING BUZZARDS BAY

This narrated excursion travels across the Cape Cod Canal Railroad bridge, then along the canal to Sandwich. Along the way, our narrator shares interesting facts about the famous Cape Cod Canal.

CAPE COD DINNER TRAIN

As guests soak in the ambiance and relax to the rhythms of the rails, a fresh five-course gourmet meal is prepared and served on white table linens in traditional rail style.

SUNDAY BRUNCH TRAIN

Brunch is the perfect mid-day meal that’s both sweet and savory. Put this tasty Sunday activity on a relaxing daytime ride around the Cape and you’ve got an activity for everyone in the family!

CAPE COD LUNCHEON TRAIN

Relish in the midday escape of a relaxing train ride and give lunch its proper respect while conversing over a cup of coffee.

Ghosts Along the Coast Halloween Train Ride

All aboard guests and ghosts for a spirit filled journey along Cape Cod Central Railroad’s haunted rails as we share ghostly tales! Hear about GHOSTS ALONG THE COAST on Cape Cod Central Railroad’s narrated Halloween&hellip

MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH TRAIN

We know that moms are the heart of a home. Start a new tradition this year and give mom the priceless gift of time with her family and a delicious meal!

FATHER’S DAY BRUNCH TRAIN

We know two things: Dads love trains, and dads love food! Celebrate dad’s special day with family and friends as you enjoy a delicious meal together on board our vintage dining cars.

RAILS & ALES BEER TASTING TRAIN

We’re featuring Buzzards Bay Brewing Company at one-of-a-kind event. Each 6-ounce beer serving will be expertly paired with an appetizer created especially for this event by the railroad’s chef. Food pairings will emphasize local ingredients&hellip

GOURMET WINE AND DINNER TRAIN FROM HYANNIS

Our Gourmet Wine and Dinner Train has a custom menu that features a three-hour ride, a five-course meal, and four 3-ounce pairings of wine from Carolyn’s Sakonnet Vineyards.

EASTER SUNDAY BRUNCH TRAIN

View some of the first signs of spring on the Cape and enjoy a quieter time of year with migrating birds visiting and colorful blooms beginning to appear.

JAZZ BRUNCH TRAIN

Join us for our Jazz Brunch Train and enjoy a delicious, freshly prepared 3-course meal and 2 ½ hour ride while listening to a talented trio of jazz musicians.

About Our Train Rides

The Cape Cod Central Railroad takes guests past marshes, cranberry bogs, dunes, and other places only accessible by rail. Which ride should you choose? Perhaps a daytime narrated excursion with tales of the history of the canal and how cranberries are harvested? Or perhaps a relaxing weekday lunch or Sunday brunch is more your style? Maybe a sunset dinner train is just the ticket? Why choose? Come explore all the Cape Cod Central Railroad has to offer. All aboard!

CAPE COD CENTRAL RAILROAD

Click here to view location Hyannis Depot: 252 Main Street, Hyannis, MA Buzzards Bay Depot: 70 Main Street, Buzzards Bay, MA


Bus connections

A row of bus bays on the north side of the HTC are used for local and intercity bus routes:

CCRTA

  • H2O West - Hyannis to/from Harwichport
  • H2O East - Hyannis to/from Orleans
  • Barnstable Villager - Hyannis to/from Barnstable
  • Sandwich Line - Hyannis to/from Sandwich
  • Hyannis Area Trolley (in season)
  • Sealine - Hyannis to/from Falmouth/Woods Hole

Plymouth and Brockton Street Railway

  • Hyannis to Barnstable, Sagamore, Plymouth, Rockland, Boston South Station, Logan Airport
  • Hyannis to Barnstable, Sagamore, Plymouth, Rockland, Boston-South Station, Boston-Park Square
  • Hyannis to Harwich, Orleans, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro, and Provincetown

Peter Pan Bus Lines

  • Hyannis to Barnstable, Sagamore, New Bedford, Fall River, Providence, New York Port Authority
  • Hyannis to Foxwoods Casino
  • Hyannis to Barnstable, Sagamore, Boston South Station, Logan Airport

Cape Cod Railroad

The first railroad to serve the Cape was started in 1847, and ran as far as Sandwich. Ten years later it was extended to Barnstable and Yarmouth. It was originally called the Cape Cod Branch of the Old Colony Railroad. Later, in 1854, the name was changed to the Cape Cod Railroad, and the line extended to Hyannis.

In 1866 the Cape Cod Central was sold to the Cape Cod Railroad, and the line extended from Yarmouth to Orleans, then to Wellfleet, and finally to Provincetown. Branches were added from Buzzards Bay to Woods Hole and from Harwich to Chatham.

For many years the cars were heated by stoves. Not until 1889 were steamheated coaches introduced. With the coming of the railroads the Cape postal service was vastly improved. At the same time the Cape became accessible to the vacationer and summer resident.

In 1979 the railroad tracks from Dennis to points East were removed and the rail line was replaced by the Cape Cod Rail Trail bike trail, a scenic bicycling trail that runs from Dennis to the Cape Cod National Seashore in Wellfleet.

The Cape Cod Central Railroad still operates on the rail lines from Hyannis/Yarmouth to points West, featuring their award winning Dinner Train, a Luncheon Train, the Sunday Brunch Train, a Family Supper Train as well as a Scenic Excursion Train and other special holiday train trips.

Massachusetts Coastal Railroad LLC took over the Cape tracks at the beginning of 2008, replacing Bay Colony Railroad Corp., the company that has run the state-owned rail line since 1982.

Cape Cod Railroad Timeline

April 6, 1846: Cape Cod Branch Railroad incorporated.

1872: Cape Cod Railroad reaches Woods Hole and Provincetown. Cape Cod Railroad merges with Old Colony and Newport to become Old Colony Railroad.

1894: Old Colony Railroad is leased to New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad.1938: Regular passenger service to Provincetown ends.

1959: Year-round daily passenger service to the Cape ends, although daily service continues in the summer through 1964.

1976: CONRAIL is formed. The state purchases tracks from Middleboro to Hyannis and Falmouth, with CONRAIL providing freight service to the towns.

1979: The Cape Cod Rail Trail bicycle trail opens on the former 22 miles of tracks through the towns of Dennis, Harwich, Brewster, Orleans, Eastham and Wellfleet.

1982: Bay Colony Railroad takes over freight service. The Cape Cod and Hyannis Railroad begins passenger service on a seasonal and scenic basis. This operation ends in 1988.

1989: Cape Cod Railroad forms to provide tourist passenger service.

May 1997: Amtrak cancels its Cape run after 11 seasons. Cape Cod Railroad goes out of business.

1999: After a year of no passenger service on Cape Cod, the Cape Cod Central Railroad forms and offers dinner and scenic trains.

2001: A proposal for a ‘feeder’ passenger service between Cape Cod and Middleboro gains momentum.

2006: The Cape Cod Central Railroad is purchased by 1999 co-founder John Kennedy and partners Chris Podgurski, Andrew Reardon and Ted Michon.

September 2007: The state transfers control of railroad tracks from Bay Colony Railroad to Mass Coastal Railroad.

2008: Cape Cod Central Railroad proposes to run several trips each day from Cape Cod to the Lakeville/Middleboro station, where passengers could catch the state’s commuter rail to Boston.


Main Street as the new Soho? Housing could turn downtown chic

HYANNIS &ndash Laura Isbrandt and Jim Berube initially intended to buy a home on the Cape when they decided to relocate from the South Shore.

Berube, who owns D&M Inflatables in Rockland, wants to expand his business over the bridge. The couple searched for a house for three months before giving up.

Then one day they came across what they were looking for . at the Cape Cod Times building.

"We were walking down Main Street and came in here," Isbrandt said of the new Residences at 319 Main & Ocean. "We tossed everything in the air and said, 'We're not going to any more open houses.'"

Huge custom murals line a wide hallway in the 319 Main St. building that used to be filled by the Cape Cod Times headquarters. The hallway pictures, taken by the newspaper&rsquos photographers over the years, captured moments of Cape life from the 1940s to the present.

Now they mark a new era in the history of the news building.

The two-story, 32,000-square-feet building, situated on 2.7 acres of land, has been made home to 22 new rental units. The Times and the Barnstable Patriot remain embedded in a 10,000 square-foot corner on the main floor, where reporters will return once construction is complete.

The rest of the building has been transformed into apartments ranging from 730- to 1,471-square-feet in size and renting for $1,800 to $2,700 a month. The project is spearheaded by Main Street LLC and Aaron Bornstein.

&ldquoWe wanted to upscale Hyannis,&rdquo Bornstein said. &ldquoThis building gave us the opportunity.&rdquo

The units are outfitted with stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and marble window jams. Industrial lighting, single-handled faucets and islands that serve to separate kitchens from dining rooms are common throughout. Wooden floors, 23-foot-tall ceilings, steel beams and exposed brick give the units a modern, industrial feel.

Energy efficiency was built in from the start with Hydro air heating systems, tankless Navien water heaters, and Marvin casement and double-hung windows.

Bornstein said he's never seen so many people looking for rentals. It's a mixture of old and young renters, and the 22 units were leased quickly upon being advertised.

The effort to breathe new life into the 1938 building came with plenty of twists and turns, delays and unexpected costs. Steel rail tracks, embedded in three layers of concrete and steel, used to carry reams of newsprint through the building when the Times had its own presses. Getting those out required a bomb bar and a team Bornstein likened to a mining crew.

&ldquoWe threw out the budget,&rdquo Bornstein said.

That&rsquos what often happens with restorations of old properties, Robert Brennan Jr. said.

Brennan is the president of CapeBuilt Development LLC, the company that rehabilitated another property near the Times building, called 255 Main. The upgrades there required his company to install a steel skeleton on the inside of the building to support its weight. Three sides of the building had a foundation, but on the other, three layers of brick sat on a dirt foundation.

&ldquoYou have to correct all that,&rdquo Brennan said.

The rehabilitated structure contains commercial space on the first floor and 10 apartments on the second. Two two-bedroom and eight one-bedroom units on the top two floors are mostly renting at market rate, with two units set aside as affordable. The affordable units, which are available for people making 100% of the area median income, rent for $2,173 a month, which includes all utilities and internet access.

As at the Residences at 319 Main & Ocean, the 10 units at 255 Main have been rented quickly. Brennan said there are 63 people on a waitlist for the 10 apartments.

Sea Captains Row, another CapeBuilt project on Pleasant Street, is another east-end effort. Starting at rentals of $1,675 a month, the one-, two-, and three-bedroom units are designed to draw people downtown, close to the waterfront, restaurants and shops.

The developments are transforming Main Street and marking the beginning of a new era, according to Elizabeth Wurfbain, executive director of the Hyannis Main Street Business Improvement District.

&ldquoI think Hyannis is on the cusp of making a great change,&rdquo she said.

Wurfbain is a believer and proponent of smart growth that creates denser developments that tie into existing infrastructure, such as water and sewer lines. The best practices of planners call for denser footprints in order to reduce pollution, but also to support retail, she said. The ability to walk to work, school, shops and restaurants means fewer vehicles but more vibrancy downtown.

The concept behind walkable cities is to get back to the days when people were close to schools and infrastructure, Wurfbain said.

&ldquoWe really have to train ourselves to think urban environment,&rdquo she said.

The Business Improvement District, which stretches for about a mile from Yarmouth Road to Dumont Avenue and includes several side streets, is one of only seven such districts in the state. Its 100 members contribute to an annual fund of $140,000 that&rsquos used for measures that ensure safety, cleanliness and the beautification of the downtown area.

The district has been instrumental in securing state and local grants to improve the downtown area. COVID-19 spurred the town, state, chamber of commerce and the Business Improvement District to make moves they wouldn&rsquot normally have made to foster economic development, Wurfbain said.

&ldquoThe grants were faster and more creative,&rdquo she said.

The Business Improvement District received a Shared Streets and Spaces grant from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, and two Commonwealth Places COVID-19 Response Resurgent Places grants from MassDevelopment, and a Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism grant that they&rsquove used to turn Main Street into a year-round destination in spite of COVID-19.

Old benches were replaced. Bike racks and planters were added to make the street more welcoming. Concrete barriers will be put up again to allow for outdoor dining along Main Street, although this year they will be covered in coastal motifs.

Outdoor events with fire pits and warming stations drew people downtown during the winter months. DJs played music, bubble machines sent bubbles skyward, and fun zones were fashioned out of empty parking lots.

On a recent cold weekend in April, more than 30 families showed up for a superhero event, something Wurfbain called &ldquohuge" for the district.

&ldquoCOVID forced people to do things they wouldn&rsquot normally do,&rdquo she said. &ldquoWe&rsquore teaching people how to be outside.&rdquo

&ldquoThere is a huge revival going on,&rdquo Brennan said. He credited Wurfbain and the Business Improvement District for efforts to direct grant money into Main Street and keep some businesses afloat. While not all businesses are coming back after the pandemic, Brennan thinks the urban neighborhood has been energized in recent years.

That urban experience is something that Brennan said young professionals have been craving on the Cape. In some ways, he said, the pandemic has opened the door for that to happen.

&ldquoYou can keep your job as an accountant, a financial services person, a filmmaker, fill-in-the-blank, and work anywhere you want,&rdquo Brennan said. &ldquoThey can make their 'anywhere' Cape Cod.&rdquo

Anytime a new project is completed or businesses make improvements to their buildings, it adds energy and vibrancy to downtown Hyannis, Brennan said.

&ldquoIt makes it more desirable and more people want to live there."

There&rsquos work still to be done, and the number of empty storefronts along Main Street can be disconcerting. There are currently 13 properties available for sale or lease, including spaces that formerly housed the Hyannis Oyster Bar, Lorena Cafe and Bakery, and the Seaside Pub on Main. The Little Sandwich Shop is open for business but is nestled between two big empty storefronts.

Still, Wurfbain is positive that the improvements will help the village of Hyannis, the town of Barnstable and all of its residents.

Sturgis Charter Public School bought the old bowling alley at 441 Main St. last year in order to expand its presence downtown. The move will bring some added vibrancy to downtown, Wurbain said, but it's only part of the overall plan to build a year-round economy, one that supports everyone. Without it, Wurfbain said Hyannis and the rest of the Cape will be in trouble.

&ldquoYou need a year-round economy, not just one that relies on tourism,&rdquo she said. &ldquoYou need affordable housing. All of these pieces must be intelligently woven together.&rdquo

Hyannis can be a model for changing what downtown areas look and feel like, she said. There are issues that come with urban living, but there is always something going on.


Voir la vidéo: CAPE COD - HYANNIS, MA. USA